PHENIX is a social company which turns waste into wealth
FoundersJean Moreau & Baptiste Corval
Headquarters75017 Paris, France
Phenix is a Tech For Good startup that implements solutions to ensure that no product goes to waste. For Phenix, each unsold item should be given a second chance. If we know how to put it in the right hands, nothing should be lost!
As the saying goes, one man’s trash is another man’s treasure. When we throw something away, it is because we no longer use it, not necessarily because the product has no value. Based on this principle, Phenix connects those who have excess with those who do not have enough.
Phenix offers 4 alternatives to the trash can:
- The Phenix mobile app, which allows customers to buy unsold items from shops at a reduced price
- Donations to food banks and other nonprofits, allowing us to avoid food waste while benefiting individuals in need
- Donations that repurpose food waste into animal feed, making good use of unsold goods and leftovers not suitable for human consumption
- Compost and anaerobic digestion to process organic waste
Thanks to these solutions, Phenix is the leading startup in the fight against food waste in Europe, with more than 120,000 meals saved everyday leveraging its network of professionals and committed customers
Phenix develops innovative technology to facilitate the transfer of unsold items:
- The platform places a focus on donations, using just-in-time and wholesale principles to ensure that unsold products can be used to benefit food banks and other food-related organizations.
- The application addresses individuals committed to fighting waste, allowing them to geolocate and book unsold products at a reduced price.
Phenix is also a pioneer in the social enterprise space, showing that economic development and environmental stewardship can go hand in hand in a new and innovative business model. Phenix is part of the Tech For Good movement and leads by example in putting the social and environmental impact of the company at the heart of its technological innovation, all of this without jeopardising economic growth. In that respect, Phenix is proud to be recognized as both a B-Corporation and an ESUS (Entreprise Solidaire d'Utilité Sociale).
One third of what we produce is produced... for nothing.
In other words, one third of the energy and resources expended to produce, transport and distribute our food goes to waste!
Waste has huge environmental, social and economic consequences:
- Environmental: If food waste were a country, it would be the 3rd largest greenhouse gases emitter. In fact, food production is now the main source of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. As a result, every time food is thrown away, it results in unnecessary and preventable CO2 emissions, undermining efforts to combat global warming.
- Social: The food thrown away in France alone could feed 10 million people. This is more than the number of people in need in France, which stands at 8.8 million people. Efficient allocation can effectively address our problem of hunger.
- Economic: Waste costs more each year than the social security deficit. The ADEME (The French Environment and Energy Management Agency) estimates that food waste costs 16 billion euros each year.
The Sustainable Development Goals are a call to action to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure peace and prosperity everywhere.
Clean water and sanitation
Affordable and clean energy
Industry, innovation and infrastructure
Sustainable cities and communities
Responsible consumption and production
Labelled Solutions from PHENIX
The Solar Impulse Efficient Solution label seeks to bridge the gap between ecology and economy, bringing together protection of the environment and financial viability to show that these solutions are not expensive fixes to problems, but rather opportunities for clean economic growth.
The information set out above, is solely for the purposes of information and the Solar Impulse Foundation does not provide any guarantee as to its authenticity, completeness or accuracy. To validate the Membership to the World Alliance for Efficient Solutions, the Solar Impulse Foundation only verifies that each entity is registered and has signed our principles and values stated in the following World Alliance for Efficient Solutions charter. For those Members who are also solution providers, this information does not constitute investment advice or a recommendation to buy into, transact or to enter into any agreement with any of the parties or persons mentioned above. Potential investors or interested parties are solely responsible for their investment or business decisions and for performing any due diligence required by the circumstances.