MITIS is a startup company developing decentralized small power and clean energy systems.
Headquarters4031 Liège, Belgique
Decentralized or distributed energy systems such as wind turbines, photovoltaic solar panels, fuel cells, cogeneration (or CHP, Combined Heat and Power) and many others present the invaluable advantage of providing electricity on-site, avoiding big losses in transport and making them much more efficient and sustainable than current old centralized power generation plants. In particular, micro cogeneration in the residential and commercial sectors allows householders and business owners to produce their own electricity (that they can also export to the grid) and use by-product heat for heating and/or cooling, significantly reducing greenhouse emissions and saving primary energy. Their huge potential has been recognized by the EU, especially considering that households’ consumption accounts for 25.4% of total European energy consumption.
MITIS develops efficient and innovative micro CHP systems based on gas microturbine, delivering between 10 and 50 KWe for three major applications and sectors:
- Collective residential and small business: a ground-breaking micro CHP boiler system combined with a heat pump designed to replace conventional domestic boilers, and that can be integrated in individual/community smart grids (micro-networks) with other renewables.
- Agriculture: micro CHP systems for small biogas production plants.
- Transport: new generation range extenders for the electrification of transport industry.
Some of our main innovations, all designed and engineered by MITIS:
- Flameless combustor adapted to a microturbine which produces extremely stable and clean combustion with ultra-low emissions of NOx and CO as well as adapted to various gaseous (NG, methane, Biogas) and liquid fuels (ethanol).
- Patented gas-gas recuperator and high efficiency heat exchanger to boost the thermal efficiency of our microturbine.
- Permanent magnet synchronous generator and air foil bearings with no lubricant leading to low maintenance cost and low downtime.
- Low CAPEX and OPEX energy conversion thanks to simplicity, modularity and low maintenance.
Our first micro CHP system is named MITIS µ10 ready for field testing and commercialization planned for 2022.