H.R.A.™ Heat Recovery Area technology

Gallery H.R.A.™ Heat Recovery Area technology 1
Gallery H.R.A.™ Heat Recovery Area technology 1
April 2021
By Fives
Headquarters 75009 Paris, France
Share

H.R.A.™ Heat Recovery Area technology - Innovative roof design for glass melting furnaces that optimizes the use of flue gas heat and opens the way for fully hybrid melting technology

The glass production sector is facing the challenge of carbon neutrality. CO2 emissions in this sector are mainly produced by the melting process (70-80% of the total emissions). H.R.A.™ Heat Recovery Area technology is an innovative combustion chamber design of glass melting furnaces that optimizes the use of flue gas heat and opens the way for fully hybrid melting technology. Implemented on oxy-combustion furnaces, the H.R.A.™ technology leads to a 6-10% reduction in gas consumption. It facilitates the shift from air to oxy-combustion furnaces with 15-25% CO2 emission reduction. Moreover, the conventional arch crown designs of glass melting furnaces are not suited when switching to hybrid furnaces with significantly reduced combustion heat input. The H.R.A.™ technology renders hybrid furnaces with up to 80% of green electrical power viable. The remaining 20% combustion can be supplied with renewable fuels like hydrogen or biogas.

Key features

  • H.R.A on oxy-combustion tanks: 6-10% better thermal efficiency of oxy-combustion
  • H.R.A. on hybrid tanks: enabling up to 80% of electric melt heating
  • H.R.A on oxy-combustion tanks: 2800 tCO2 saved per year for a 500 t glass per day
  • H.R.A. on hybrid tanks: about 80% savings on the CO2 emissions for a high fraction of green electricity

Profitability

  • H.R.A on oxy-combustion tanks: allows for a 6-10% OPEX reduction with near 0 payback time
  • H.R.A. on hybrid tanks: 2 years payback time

Categories of Application

Maturity Stage

  • Medium and large scale commercialization
  • Small scale commercialization
  • Initial market commercialization
  • Prototype testing in the real world
  • Prototype testing 1:1 in the lab

Looking For

Activity Region

  • /

Europe

France,

  • Headquarters
  • Activity

The information set out above, is solely for the purposes of information and the Solar Impulse Foundation does not provide any guarantee as to its authenticity, completeness or accuracy. This information does not constitute investment advice or a recommendation to buy into, transact or to enter into any agreement with any of the parties or persons mentioned above. Potential investors or interested parties are solely responsible for their investment or business decisions and for performing any due diligence required by the circumstances.