Holcim Susteno 4

Gallery Holcim Susteno 4 1
Gallery Holcim Susteno 4 1
May 2021
By Holcim
Headquarters 6300 Zoug, Suisse

Holcim Susteno 4 - Cement using demolition rubble as a component

Susteno is the first resource-saving cement in Switzerland made of high quality processed mixed rubble from demolition projects. 85% of demolition rubble is recycled in Switzerland, and Holcim found a way to close the material cycle for the remaining 15% that would otherwise be landfilled. This conserves scarce landfill space (around 1200 truck loads in 2020), conserves primary raw materials, and saves 10% CO2 compared to a CO2-optimised Swiss mass cement (30% vs a type I cement). The CO2 savings in 2020 were equivalent to 4700 people flying from Zurich to New York. Susteno is also a solution for companies that recycle concrete and mixed demolition waste and are looking for a sustainable alternative to landfilling the unusable fine fractions. Susteno is the next generation of mass cements with a more ecological footprint and complies with all norms. This solution demonstrates how the construction sector can play a key role in the transition to a circular economy.

  • /

Key features

  • Saves 10% CO2 compared to a CO2-optimised Swiss mass cement. In 2020, this equates to 4700 people flying from Zurich to New York.
  • The first cement that includes around 20% recycled demolition waste
  • In 2020 over 1000 truck loads of demolition rubble were recycled through Susteno


  • Can deliver up to 7% higher property value
  • Construction companies and concrete producers have a differentiating competitive advantage when project owners ask for sustainable solutions or even demand Susteno in tenders

Maturity Stage

  • Medium and large scale commercialization
  • Small scale commercialization
  • Initial market commercialization
  • Prototype testing in the real world
  • Prototype testing 1:1 in the lab

Looking For

Activity Region

  • /



  • Headquarters
  • Activity

The information set out above, is solely for the purposes of information and the Solar Impulse Foundation does not provide any guarantee as to its authenticity, completeness or accuracy. This information does not constitute investment advice or a recommendation to buy into, transact or to enter into any agreement with any of the parties or persons mentioned above. Potential investors or interested parties are solely responsible for their investment or business decisions and for performing any due diligence required by the circumstances.