Customised sealed & airless hydraulic reservoir design and manufacturing.
Name: Variable Volume Reservoirs or VVR's
FoundersCarl Seguin, René Gauthier, Claudio Bazzarelli
HeadquartersBois-des-Filion, QC J6Z 0A3, Canada
The VVR technology is an innovative concept derived from the aerospace ‘bootstrap’ reservoir design
Its purpose is to replace on selected applications the ‘classic’ atmospheric hydraulic reservoir (tank)
The VVR targets many applications like industrial hydraulic systems, mobile machinery, military vehicles, mining machinery, marine and offshore field inluding ROV's fluid power systems.
It can be from open loop systems to hydrostatic drives.
In conventional systems, the reservoir oil capacity is sized in relation to the pump flow rate (typically 2-3 times) whereas the VVR solution requires to size from the system oil displacement and thermal expansion. Displacement could be from differential cylinders where the rod volume only must be accounted for .
Main return flow goes direct to pump inlet where the VVR connected to the return line will compensate for volume differential and thermal expansion, thus making the VVR totally independent from system flow.
The VVR is not part of the cooling equation; hence, classic reservoir offers very poor cooling capacity.
It is in our philosophy that the coolers must provide 100% if this task. Why use a bulky heavy mass of fluid to obtain the same result...it is not ecological !
The VVR is sealed, airless and slightly pressurized thus offers many benefits over classic heavy & bulky reservoirs;
- Considerable weight reduction (up to 100 times)
- Considerable space reduction ( up to 20 times)
- Reduced fluid cost thus 100 times less fluid
- Environment friendly and mostly suitable for biodegradable fluids
- Open loop system becomes a closed loop system
- Exposure to solid contaminants and moisture (oxidation) is eliminated
- Increased fluid and components life thus lower maintenance cost and increased system reliability
- Reduced contamination risk when filling
- Reduced oil disposal volume / recycling
- Reduced fire hazards and consequences
- Reduced decontamination cost if a major leak occurs ( environmental hazard)
- Pump positive inlet pressure allows machine to operate in any orientation and altitude
- Pump positive inlet pressure reduces pump noise and allows for better performance and increased RPM.
- VVR’s can be installed in series or parallel to increase effective volume
- VVR’s can be installed on independent pump to isolate circuits.
When applied on mobile machines, their 100:1 weight reduction allows for better fuel eonomy and /or higher payload.
VVR's can operate on top of Everest down to seafloor with same performance.
The Sustainable Development Goals are a call to action to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure peace and prosperity everywhere.
Clean water and sanitation
Affordable and clean energy
Industry, innovation and infrastructure
Sustainable cities and communities
Responsible consumption and production
The information set out above, is solely for the purposes of information and the Solar Impulse Foundation does not provide any guarantee as to its authenticity, completeness or accuracy. To validate the Membership to the World Alliance for Efficient Solutions, the Solar Impulse Foundation only verifies that each entity is registered and has signed our principles and values stated in the following World Alliance for Efficient Solutions charter. For those Members who are also solution providers, this information does not constitute investment advice or a recommendation to buy into, transact or to enter into any agreement with any of the parties or persons mentioned above. Potential investors or interested parties are solely responsible for their investment or business decisions and for performing any due diligence required by the circumstances.